Xu, Yixiang, PhD
Associate Professor of Food Processing and Engineering
Meet Yixiang Xu (VIDEO)
Ph.D. (2005) University of Nebraska, Lincoln (Food Science and Technology)
M.S. (1996) – Southwest Agriculture University, Chongqing, China (Food Science and Technology)
B.Eng. (1993) – Southwest Agriculture University, Chongqing, China (Food Engineering)
Engineering for Food Quality, Safety and Nutrition
Novel Food Processing and Packaging Technologies to Improve Food Quality and Safety
Application of nanotechnology in food processing and packaging
Physical and Engineering Properties of Food and Biological Materials
Value-added Utilization of Agricultural Waste and Biomass
Professional Society Memberships
Institute of Food Technologists
American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers
Virginia Academy Science
Selected Publications (2015-2018)
(1) Xu, Y.X., Rehmani, N., Alsubaie, L., Scales, A., Kim, C., Sismour, E. (2018). Antioxidant and antimicrobial effectiveness of starch nanocomposite film for chicken meat. Food Packaging and Shelf life (In press).
(2) Xu, Y.X., Willis, S., Jordan, K., Sismour, E, Zhao, X. (2018). Chitosan active nanocomposite film incorporating cellulose nanocrystals and grape pomace extract. Packaging Technology & Science (First revision).
(3) Xu, Y.X., Cartier, A., Porter, A., Lalancette, K., Abraha-Eyob, Z., Sismour, E., Si. H.W., Wang, X., Rehemani, N., Githinji, L. (2018). Bioactive compounds and biological activity of extracts from Virginia-grown sweet potatoes affected by different cooking methods. Journal of Food Measurement and Characterization, (under reviewed)
(4) Xu, Y.X., Scales, A., Jordan, K., Kim, C., Sismour, E. (2017). Starch nanocomposite films incorporating grape pomace extract and cellulose nanocrystal. Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 134, 44438.
(5) Xu, Y.X., Obielodan, M., Sismour, E., Arnett, A., Alzahrani, S, Zhang, B. (2017). Physicochemical, functional, thermal and structural properties of isolated Kabuli chickpea proteins as affected by processing approaches. International Journal of Food Science and Technology, 52 (5), 1147-1154.
(6) Cartier, A., Woods, J., Sismour, E., Allen, J., Ford, E., Githiniji, L., Xu, Y. (2017).
Physiochemical, nutritional and antioxidant properties of fourteen Virginia grown sweet potato varieties. Journal of Food Measurement and Characterization, 11, 1333-1341.
(7) Xu, Y.X., Cartier, A., Obielodan, M., Jordan, K., Hairston, T., Shannon, A., Sismour, E. (2016). Nutritional and anti-nutritional composition, and in-vitro protein digestibility of Kabuli chickpea (Cicer arietinum L.) as affected by differential processing methods. Journal of Food Measurement and Characterization, 10, 625-633.
(8) Xu, Y.X., Cartier, A., Kibet, D., Jordan, K., Hakala, I., Davis, S., Sismour, E., Kering, M., Rutto, L. (2016). Physical and nutritional properties of edamame seeds as influenced by stage of development. Journal of Food Measurement and Characterization, 10, 193-200.
(9) Xu, Y.X., Burton, S., Kim, C., Sismour, E. (2016). Phenolic compounds, antioxidant and antibacterial properties of pomace extracts from four Virginia-grown grape varieties. Food Science & Nutrition, 4(1), 125-133.
(10) Xu, Y., Barbaro, J., Reese, F., Langaigne, A., Rutto, L, Kering, M. (2015) Physicochemical,
functional and microstructural characteristics of vegetable soybean (Glycine max) as affected by variety and cooking process. Journal of Food Measurement and Characterization, 9, 471-478.
Active Funded Grants
(1) Reducing salt in processed meats using high-pressure processing and grape pomace: Building capacity in non-thermal technologies at VSU. USDA-NIFA-CBG. (PI). $295,274. FY 2017-2020.
(2) Trait characterization and germplasm development of edamame and dual-purpose specialty soybeans. USDA-NIFA-CBG. (Co-PI). $416,248. FY 2017-2020.
(3) Development of taste-masking polymer-based coating. Pfizer Consumer Healthcare. (PI) $5,000.
(4) Extend the shelf life of potato salad using modified atmosphere packaging technology. Sally Bells Kitchen. (PI) $2,000. FY 2017.
(5) Evaluation of Chesapeake Bay blue catfish (Ictalurus furcatus) nutritional composition, and physicochemical and functional attributes for potential value-added applications. Delmarva Land Grant Institution Cooperative Seed Grant Program. PI, $11,082 FY 2016-2018.
(6) Postharvest processing, handling, and marketing of Southside Virginia edamame. Virginia Tobacco Commission. (Co-PI). $114,822. FY 2016-2019.
(7) Virginia`s own mobile slaughter unit: Promoting food safety education and small ruminant meat marketing. USDA-NIFA-CBG. (Co-PI). $249,582. FY 2015-2018.