Bhardwaj, Harbans, PhD
Plant and Soil Sciences
- Ph. D. (1983) - University of Georgia, Athens (Agronomy)
- M.S. (1971) - Punjab Agricultural University, Ludhiana, India
- B.S. (1969) - Punjab Agricultural University, Ludhiana, India
- Elucidation of genetic and environmental control of phenotypic expression of agronomic and physiological traits
- Development of new crops for production of food, feed, & industrial products
- Genetic improvement of crop plants to increase yield and quality
- Demonstrations related to canola production, canola seed crushing to obtain oil, and conversion of canola oil into biodiesel.
Professional Society Membership
- Crop Science Society of America
- American Oil Chemists Society
- American Society for Horticultural Science
- Bhardwaj, H.L. and A.A. Hamama. 2008. Oil Quality of Winter Hardy Rapeseed Germplasm Relative to Biodiesel Production. World Journal of Agricultural Sciences 4(1):1-6.
- Bhardwaj, H.L. and A.A. Hamama. 2007. Yield and Nutritional Quality of Canola Sprouts. HortScience 42(7):1656-1658.
- Bhardwaj, H.L., A.A. Hamama, and D.A. Dierig. 2007. Fatty acids in vernonia produced in the mid-Atlantic region of USA. J. Amer. Oil Chemists Soc., 84:393-397.
- Bhardwaj, H.L., A.A. Hamama, and E. van Santen. 2004. White lupin performance and nutritional value as affected by planting date and row spacing. Agron. Journal 96:580-583.
- Bhardwaj, H.L., M. Rangappa, and A. A. Hamama. 2002. Planting date and genotype effects on tepary bean productivity. HortScience 37(2):317-318.
- Biological N Fixation and Seed Composition Traits of Tepary Bean. USDA-CSREES, 2007-2010, $299,391.
- Biological Nitrogen Fixation and Seed Composition Traits of White Lupin. USDA-CSREES-CBGP, 2003-2006, $297,401.
- Establishment of Canola as an Alternate Cash Crop in Virginia. USDA-CSREES-National Canola Research Program, 1994-2010, on-going annually-renewable project, $263,196.
- Human Health and Consumption of Ground Wholeseed Flax as a Food Supplement. Virginia State University, Petersburg, VA., 2008-09, $11,000.