Atalay, Asmare, PhD
Plant and Soil Sciences
- Ph.D. (1985) - University of Missouri, Columbia (Soil Science)
- M.S. (1981) - University of Missouri, Columbia (Soil Chemistry)
- B.S. (1977) - State University of New York, New Paltz (Chemistry)
- Antibiotics impact assessment in water and soil
- Drinking water quality assessment at underserved farms and communities
- Nutrient management in animal manure and biosolids
- Phosphorus mobility and sorption in soils and sediments
Professional Society Memberships
- Soil Science Society of America
- Agronomy Society of America
- Crop Science Society of America
- Virginia Soil Survey
- Atalay, A., S. Pao, M. James, B. Whitehead, and A. Allen. 2008. Drinking Water Assessment at Underserved Farms in Virginia’s Coastal Plain. J. Environmental Monitoring & Restoration, 4:53-64.
- Atalay, A. C. Bronick, S. Pao, W. Mersie, A. Kalantari, C. McNamee, and B. Whitehead. 2007. Nutrient and Microbial Dynamics in Biosolids Amended Soils Following Rainfall Simulation. Soil and Sediment Contamination, 16:209-219.
- T. Tsegaye, D. Shepard, K.R. Islam, A. Johnson, W. Tadesse, A. Atalay, and L. Marzen. 2006. The Development of Chemical Index as a Measure of in-Stream Water Quality in Response to Land-Use and Land Cover Changes. J. Water, Air, and Soil Pollution, 174:161-179.
- J. Wu, W. Mersie, A. Atalay, and C.A. Seybold. 2003. Copper Retention from Runoff by Switchgrass and Tall Fescue Filter Strips. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation, 58(1):67-73.
- Atalay, A. 2001. Variation in Phosphorus Sorption with Soil Particle Size”Journal of Soil and Sediment Contamination, 10(3):317-335.
- Sub-contract from University of Maryland Mid-Atlantic Regional Regional Water Quality Coordination Project: Assisting Underserved Farmers in Meeting Water Quality Objectives. USDA/CSREES, 2004-present, $180,000.
- Nutrient Composition Assessment and Management of Poultry Manure, USDA/CSREES Evans-Allen Grant, $300,000.
- Phosphorus Dynamics in Nutrient-Rich Sediments. USDA/CSREES Capacity Building Grant. 2002, $300,000.
- Animal Waste Management Practices and Alternate Technologies for Limited Resource Farmers. An 1890 Consortium Proposal, USDA/CSREES, IFAFS Seed Grant, 2001, $50,000.
- 1890s Participation in Water Quality Symposia, Travel Support. USDA/CSREES, 2001, $5,000.